Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Seeds

Is anyone else watching Married to Medicine? I missed last season ;however, I plan to watch the foolwangery this year. *covers head in shame*  I cannot look away from train wrecks. *shrugs shoulders*

However the show got me thinking.

When the show premiered last year, there was a lot negative press associated with it. A couple of students and alumni in my medical school started a petition to have the show boycotted citing that the show perpetuated negative stereotypes. Of course, Bravo TV  was not going to stop their money train because of a few disgruntled people in the medical community. I really did not understand what the whole hullabaloo was at that point. Now I realize the show was/is more dangerous than I realized.
Every thing we watch, hear and read sows a seed in our heart and mind. These seeds take root ( make a foundation), germinate and grow.  When the seed grows into a plant it produces more seeds.  The bible puts it aptly with “ out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. (Luke 6 vs 45)”
My classmates were rightfully angry that another negative seed was being sown into the hearts of millions of people. This could have been set up for positive portrayal of a story that is seldom  told. The story of  black female physicians with black male physicians and their wives. I went to a medical school that is not representative of how few minorities there are in medicine. Do not underestimate how dangerous these portrayals are. To me each is a single alphabet of a word in a sentence that says  black people are a certain way.
If you are told something or shown something or read something often enough, without having valuable insight, you will begin to believe it.

That is why I started taking more concerted steps to watch what I allow into me. I wont lie to you and say I listen to Christian radio and tv 24/7. To be frank, there is an inauthentic portrayal of Christianity that I feel Christian radio purports that I dislike. However, I noticed that despite the positives in my life I was prone to swings in my emotion and moods. Instead of “riding it out” or dismissing it as my normal disposition I began to wonder why. It dawned on me , definitely from revelation from the holy spirit, that I was allowing negative seeds to be sown in my life.

I watch entirely too much ratchet reality tv to be considered healthy .

 If all I watched was strife, hate, rudeness, meanness and people being downright evil to each other then it isn't surprising that I was moody, snappy, critical and mean. I wasn't suddenly going to be speaking blessings to my fellow brother when I wasn't reading, watching and hearing blessings.
I cannot lie and say I have stopped all ratchet reality tv (everyone has to have a little vice J).  These people are utterly ridiculous and  put them selves out there. It’s like a crash on the highway, you cant help but slow down . However, I have drastically cut back. I have gone on television fasts where I abstain from television for a few days.  I replaced the inane pop songs I listened to on radio and replaced with christian messages. I can definitely say there has been an improvement in my emotional health. I am not mother Theresa now but I am not giving everyone within a one mile radius of me a mean side eye.
Well most of the time I am not. J


3 comments:

  1. I think you saw I did an interview on my blog with one of the girls from that show last month. Gah not exactly how I think doctors and doctors wives are in reality. She even agreed with that statement too ha. You my dear would be perfect for a show about physicians-classy, elegant and smart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Kelly you made my day with that comment !!! Thanks. Yes I would like to so, the show is not representative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed watching HOUSE and GREY ANATOMY....one thing I know about movies is that they exaggerate every emotion so as to capture the heart of the audience, hence I do not take them too serious, I simply pick one or two moral lessons from it.
    Nowadays, some movies are too 'dark', even some children cartoons which ought to be for laughs are too 'violent' for me talkless of a child, thus I banned certain cartoon series in my home, because like you said, when the 'seed' is sown, it definitely will germinate, grow and produce fruits...thus I watch comedy or love movies mostly to have a happy mind.
    p.s I am enjoying 'House of cards'.....I went to watch it after reading it here..am still in season 2 though and I tell you, am so learning....I don't like politics, but this drama truly intrigue me....words are indeed powerful!

    ReplyDelete